Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Salisbury Steak

For those of you who don't know, I married a small-town Iowa dude almost 16 years ago.  Growing up, Jeff's mom, used a lot of Iowa products to make supper.  Beef, corn, potatoes....  Being from Maine, I didn't have the same influences:  my mum cooked dinner instead of supper and we ate a lot of seafood and chicken.  So it's been an adjustment...a 16 year adjustment...to include beef, corn and potatoes in our menu!
Jeff, his brother Craig, his sister Julie, his brother Steve and parents Leonard and Helen

I few years ago, I found a recipe online for Salisbury Steak.  It sounded pretty easy, and I was sure that Jeff, the Iowa dude, would like it...especially if I made mashed potatoes and corn.  I changed it up a little (no surprise here!)  And I was right...it was good!  This recipe (along with the mashed potatoes and corn) has become something that I make fairly often.   


Salisbury Steak


1 pound ground beef (I use 97%)
1 packet of Lipton's Onion Soup mix
3/4 c. water


1 c. beef broth
1 can cream of mushroom soup


Mix the ground beef, onion soup mix and water together well.  It will be soupy.  {hahhahhaaha  I crack myself up!}  Seriously, the meat will be mushy.  Form into 4 patties.  


Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Place the patties into the hot skillet and cook the patties, turning to brown both sides.  


In a bowl, combine the beef broth and the cream of mushroom soup.  Pour over the patties.  Cover the pan and lower the heat to medium low and simmer for 30-40 minutes.  Turn the patties occasionally.


In 30-40 minutes you have Salisbury Steak and gravy!  Mashed potatoes, corn, a small green salad and a hunk of crusty bread complete the meal!  Yum!  Enjoy~

No comments:

Post a Comment