Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Amish Breakfast Casserole



I found this recipe for Amish Breakfast Casserole on allrecipes.com.  I made some changes to the recipe, but overall, it was pretty good, I would make it again, but with more changes.  The recipe calls for 1 pound of bacon and I only used 1/2 pound of center cut bacon.  I also used 3 c. of shredded 2% Cheddar cheese instead of Cheddar and Swiss.

Amish Breakfast Casserole (from allrecipes.com, submitted by Beth Notaro)
1 lb sliced bacon, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
6 eggs, slightly beaten
4 c. frozen hash brown potatoes (shredded potatoes)
2 c. Cheddar cheese, shredded
1-1/2 c. cottage cheese (I used 1%)
1-1/4 c. Swiss cheese, shredded

In a large skillet, cook bacon and onion until bacon is crisp.  Drain.  In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients.  Stir in bacon mixture.  Transfer to a 13x9x2 inch baking dish.  Bake uncovered at 350* 35-40 minutes or until set and bubbly.  Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

My review:  I thought this was a little bland.  Next time I would add 1/2 t. powdered mustard, 1/2 t. black pepper, and a dash of Cayenne pepper.  I'd also add a chopped green pepper, and 2-3 sliced green onions (in addition to the chopped onion.)  I think diced ham would go well in this, as well as the Swiss cheese it originally called for.  The texture was good, I didn't think it needed any more eggs or cream as some of the reviewers suggested on allrecipes.com.  The cottage cheese made the casserole moist.  I also needed to cook the casserole for 50 minutes instead of the 35-40 minutes in the original recipe. 

Let me know what you think of this!

Happy cooking and enjoy~

2 comments:

  1. Traditionally I do not like breakfast EXCEPT when it comes with potatoes and cheese like this recipe! I think next time I have family in town I'm gonna try it because it looks so interesting - but with your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that looks so good! my oldest has an egg allergy but next time he goes to grandmas for a few days I'm all over this recipe!

    ReplyDelete