Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Church Supper Dish

My dad gave me this recipe and he's been urging me to try it.  It's a recipe from my grandmother, Annie Haskell.  When my dad was growing up, this dish was always taken to potlucks and to church suppers (hence the name, Church Supper Dish.)

My dad has sent this recipe to me several times through email and I've resisted making it.  Finally, I decided to try it.  I was skeptical.  I knew it was going to end up with TLS written across the top.  I knew I wouldn't like it.  Tomato soup, chili powder and cornbread all in a casserole?  Ewww...  But, I made it anyways.  And surprise, surprise!  It was good!  It wasn't a TLS recipe!  JP told me this was a "make again" recipe!  So look past the ingredients (the tomato soup is what did it for me) and make this!  You'll be glad you did!

Grandma's Church Supper Dish


1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can of corn, drained
1 lb. hamburger (I used 93%)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, diced
1-1/2 T. chili powder
3/4 t. cumin


1-1/4 c. flour (I used 3/4 c. white and 1/2 c. wheat flour)
3/4 c. cornmeal
1/4 c. sugar (I used Splenda)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt


1 c. milk (I used skim)
1/4 c. oil (I used olive oil)
1 egg, beaten


Brown the hamburger, onion and garlic in a skillet over medium heat.  Drain when the hamburger is done.  Add the chili powder, cumin, corn and the tomato soup (just the condensed soup, NO water or milk added.)  Stir well and pour into a 9x13 pan sprayed with Pam.


In a medium bowl, mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt together.  In a separate bowl, mix the milk, oil and egg together.  Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the milk mixture.  Stir until just mixed.  Spread over the hamburger mixture.


Bake at 350* for 35-45 min.


Review:  I thought this was an excellent casserole.  I couldn't taste the tomato soup by itself, instead it was a chili-type taste.  This was surprising since the use of tomato soup really turned me off.  The cornbread layer on top was light and tasty.  I used a combination of white and whole wheat flour.  The combination was light enough that it didn't have a "wheaty" taste to it.  It tasted like cornbread!  I also added 1 c. of shredded cheddar cheese.  I sprinkled the cheese on the meat mixture before adding the cornbread layer.  I think the cheese added a little more depth of flavor...besides, I like cheese!  I will make this again!

3 comments:

  1. I make this sometimes! I usually use any cornbread recipe (sometimes straight from the box) and either bake it on top or just serve it on the side. I never had the original recipe and made it from memory from my mom. Now I can add the cumin and chili powder. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this tonight. It was really good and nothing was leftover from my family! For sure I will make it again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad your family enjoyed it, Kelli! :)

    ReplyDelete