Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Friday, June 11, 2010

Company Chicken

So yesterday, I took part in the Kindred  Connection from the Windy Poplars blog. 

Kindred Connection from Windy Poplars

One of the questions was about your signature dish...  Company Chicken is one of mine.  I've decided to share my recipe of Company Chicken with all of you great folks that read my blog!

A little background:  In the 1970's, my dad was in the Army and my mum was a part of the Officer Wives Club at one of the posts we were at...I believe it was Ft. Bliss, in El Paso, Texas.  This club had a recipe exchange and this is one of the recipes that was received.   My mum occasionally made this recipe when I was growing up.  I forget what it was originally called, but I started calling it Company Chicken because that is what we had when we had company for dinner!  I've lightened the original dish up a little bit...every little bit counts!  I've used lightened products, precooked my bacon and less sour cream...you can use regular products, uncooked Center Cut bacon, and more sour cream if you're so inclined!  Also, you can find dried beef in the canned meat section of your grocery store.  It's near the tuna fish and comes in a jar.  I buy Armor brand...because that's the only brand my store sells!  And they don't sell the pouches at my store!  I freeze the rest of the dried beef for the next time I make Company Chicken.  You may also find dried beef in your deli.  My inlaws can get it in their deli at their local market.

Company Chicken
serves 4-6
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
8 slices bacon (I use Center Cut)
16 slices dried beef
1 can 98% reduced fat cream of chicken soup
8 ounces reduced fat sour cream
1/8 t. garlic powder
1/8/ t. onion powder
fresh ground pepper

Rinse the dried beef several times in warm water, and let soak in a bowl of warm water and change the water twice while you're getting everything else ready.  Preheat the oven to 325*.

Cook the bacon until is is almost completely cooked.  You want the bacon to be soft and flexible rather than crisp.  I usually do this in the microwave.  Drain the bacon and pat dry with paper towels.


Mix the sour cream and cream of chicken soup together in a bowl.

Remove the dried beef from the bowl of water and squeeze dry.

Butterfly cut each chicken breast (cut it in half lengthwise.)  Check out this video from "Taste of Home" magazine for tips on butterflying chicken.  Open the chicken along the cut and place 4 pieces of dried beef.  Fold the chicken back up, like it was before you butterflied it.  If you're using thighs, you don't need to butterfly the meat.  Instead, place 2 pieces of dried beef along the "bone side" of the chicken thigh, and fold in half.

Wrap each chicken breast with 2 slices of precooked bacon and secure with a toothpick.  With the thighs, wrap each thigh with 1 slice of precooked bacon.

Place the chicken in a 9x9x2 inch casserole dish that has been sprayed with Pam, or whatever cooking spray you use.  Sprinkle the chicken with pepper, garlic powder and onion powder.  I usually don't measure this, but just sprinkle it on lightly.  Top with the sour cream mixture.

Cook for 40-50 minutes until it is bubbly and the chicken is cooked through.

Serve over pasta.  I always make peas as a vegetable.  The peas go really well with the chicken and the sauce.

Enjoy~

And there you have it...a chicken (and beef and pork) recipe good enough for company!  This recipe is always on the list of things to make when my husband returns from deployments!

No comments:

Post a Comment