Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Penzeys



If you've read my blog for any time, you'll have noticed that I use (and talk about) Penzeys spices.  I LOVE PENZEYS!

I remember going home to visit my mum when I was in my mid 20's during the summer.  She wanted me to help her make Bread and Butter Pickles, but she couldn't find enough little jars of mustard seed in the grocery store.  (This was way before Google and the ease of online shopping.)  I had a friend who had ordered spices through a catalog, so I called my friend (who was living in Germany) and asked her for the telephone number for that spice catalog.   I called the number and talked to a very nice lady.  She questioned the amount of mustard seed that I requested...after all, it's not everyday that someone orders 3 pounds of mustard seed to make a batch of pickles.  But I went ahead and ordered 3 pounds...I even contemplated ordering 4 pounds!  I am horrible about estimating, and WAY overestimated how much mustard seed we would need.  My mum was a little surprised a few days later when the package from Penzeys showed up.  Do you know how many mustard seeds are in 3 pounds?  I don't know either, but it is a lot!  You can get an idea of how small mustard seeds are by looking at the necklace below...now just imagine 3 pounds of mustard seed!  WOW! 



After that mishap with the mustard seeds, I became a Penzeys convert.  I started receiving the catalog in the mail.  I experimented with the recipes in the catalog and began ordering different spices to try.  Years later, I'm still a Penzeys convert.  I look forward to the catalogs that I still get in the mail.  I cut out the recipes and have them in my file box.  I have always been impressed with the quality of spices that I get from Penzeys.  They are fresh and taste better than the ones you can buy at the grocery store.  They are a little bit more expensive than what you pick up at Walmart, however, the taste and the over-all result is out of this world!  I often visit their website to see what's new and to order online.  www.penzeys.com  And I even get to visit one of their stores occasionally! 

JP drawing Cayenne Pepper

A few weeks ago, we traveled to Iowa to visit my in-law family.  On the way there, we stopped in Omaha to visit the Penzeys store.  There is something heavenly about walking through the door of a Penzeys store!  A spicy-peppery smell meets you at the door and penetrates your clothing, so when you leave, you get a slight whiff of the store smell throughout the day.  The staff has always been friendly and eager to help.  Even JP loves to go there!  There is a small kids area and JP draws pictures that he can hang on the wall. 
JP next to the Cayenne Pepper display

If you ever have a chance, please visit the store, the website or just browse through the catalog.  You'll be glad you did!
JP and his Cayenne Pepper drawing

Just in case you didn't get it the first time, I LOVE PENZEYS!

1 comment:

  1. I love Penzy's! The smoked chipotle chili powder in chili is my "special ingredient" and not so spicy the you can't taste the other flavors. Their gift collections are always a hit at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete