Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Applesauce in the Crock Pot

JP and I made applesauce today in the large crock pot. I love my crock pot. See the previous post on my love/hate relationship I have my my crock pots. It's an all day affair and Jacob loves it. There's an easy way to make it, and a hard way. The hard way isn't so hard, but of course, we had to do it the hard way, which is a little messier than the easy way. I'll give directions for both.


Crock Pot Applesauce (the Easy Way)


6 pounds of apples
1 T. cinnamon
1 T. vanilla

Core, peel and quarter the apples. Place in a large crock pot. Sprinkle the apples with vanilla and then sprinkle the cinnamon on top. Cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours. Every 1-2 hours, stir the apples. When the apples are tender after 6-8 hours, mash with a potato masher for a chunky applesauce. For a smooth applesauce, use a food mill.


This applesauce has no added sugar, so you may find it a little tart. You can add sugar or honey to taste, if needed. Store the applesauce in the refrigerator. You can also freeze the applesauce in small freezer containers and thaw when needed.


Crock Pot Applesauce (The hard way)

6 lbs. apples (I used Jonathan)
1 T. cinnamon
1 T. vanilla


Quarter the apples and place them in a large crock pot (seeds, skin and all!) Sprinkle the vanilla over the apples and top with cinnamon. Cook on high for 6-8 hours, stirring every 1-2 hours. When the apples are tender, spoon the cooked apples into a food mill and grind, scooping out the seeds and skin occasionally. After the apples have been run through the food mill, store in the refrigerator, or the freezer, depending on your needs.






Warm applesauce and ice cream!  YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment