Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad

So here it is, September 16...and I haven't blogged since August!  Ack!  Well, school has started and I am beyond busy.  I am taking two classes this semester (my LAST TWO CLASSES!) along with teaching two classes.  My students are seniors in college and I am teaching them how to teach Language Arts in elementary school.  Fun!  :)  I love teaching my students...they are like little sponges soaking up all I have to say about reading, writing, and the 4 other areas of language arts.  Do you know the components of Language Arts?  I've given you two...can you come up with 4 other components?  No cheating! (But they're listed at the bottom on this post!)
allnaturalannie.com

So onto Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad.  I love it.  Several years (more like 15 years ago) ago I got a recipe booklet from L.L. Bean.  They had 6 or 8 recipes on a foldout like booklet from employees.  One of them was for a Broccoli Salad.  The original salad contained a pound of bacon, a cup of mayo and 2 cups of cheddar cheese.  I've changed the recipe (haha, no surprise there!)

Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad


1 medium-sized broccoli bunch, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 medium cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
1/4 medium onion, finely diced
2 pieces of bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/3 c. shredded cheddar (I used 2%)
1/4 c. sunflower seeds
1/3 c. raisins
1/3 c. craisins


1/3 c. mayo (I used lite Hellman's)
1/3 c. plain, fat free yogurt
1/3 c. Splenda
1/3 c. white vinegar


In a large bowl, mix the cauliflower and broccoli pieces.  Add the onion, bacon, cheddar, sunflower seeds, raisins and craisins.  In a small bowl, mix the mayo, yogurt, Splenda and vinegar together.  Whisk well.  Pour the dressing over the broccoli and cauliflower mixture.  Mix well and refrigerate.  Stir before serving.

You can easily double this recipe.  I've scaled this recipe down because JP and I are the only ones who like the salad...using a whole cauliflower and 2 heads of broccoli make a LOT of salad!  Feel free to use sugar or honey instead of the Splenda and regular mayo instead of the lite.  Also, you can use all raisins or all craisins...or whatever you like! 

Enjoy~


Language Arts consists of reading, writing, speaking, listening, viewing, visual representation

No comments:

Post a Comment