Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cookie Challenge


We've had a long, busy, germy couple of weeks in the Miller household.  We've just been super busy with our normal, everyday life:  work, school, Boy Scouts, swimming, bowling, school activities...and throw in some colder weather (this has become our anthem for the winter!)  Add to that mix the dreaded flu.  Two of us have had the flu...hopefully only 2/3rds of our family will get the flu this year! 

This week, Jeff did something unexpected...  he challenged me to a cookie bake off!  To tell the truth, I don't really like baking cookies.  They take a long time.  I'd rather mix something up, pop it into the oven and a few minutes later... voila!  it's done!  With cookies, you keep baking, and baking, and baking.  Twenty minutes stretches into 30, which stretches into 40 and pretty soon it's an hour and you're still baking.  Brownies and bars are my answer to the cookie baking, but those don't count in a cookie challenge. 

So it got me thinking...what kind of cookie can I make that doesn't take a long time to bake, and one that tastes great?  No Bake Cookies!   Allrecipes.com had a recipe that looked yummy.  So I whipped up a double batch.  You may be wondering why I'd make a double recipe when there are only 3 of us...well, I just happen to have a test scheduled for my students.  I figured I'd sweeten the test and hand out cookies at the same time.  The only complaint that I got from my cookies was the lack of a glass of milk!


Here are my awesome students taking a test and snacking on No Bake Cookies!




Back to the cookie challenge.  Jeff called his mother, Helen, to get her Chocolate Chip recipe.  This afternoon, Jeff whipped up a tasty batch with his faithful helper, JP.  I must admit, the boys did a good job.  The three of us sampled the warm cookies.

And the results?  I say I won, Jeff says he won and JP says we tied.  I guess we need a non partial cookie tester!

No Bake Cookies

2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk ( I used skim)
1 pinch salt
3 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup peanut butter (I used chunky)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract


In a saucepan, bring sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and salt to a rapid boil.  Boil for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and add oats, peanut butter and vanilla.  Mix well.  Using a medium sized cookie scoop (or tablespoon), drop cookies onto waxed paper. Let cool and enjoy~ 


Helen's Chocolate Chip Cookies


1 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2-1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 cups chocolate chips


Cream the butter and sugars together.  Beat in the eggs.  Add flour, soda, salt and vanilla.  Mix well.  Mix in the chocolate chips.  Using a medium cookie scoop, place the dough on a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 for 6-10 minutes.  Enjoy~





3 comments:

  1. Hey Jen! Cookies look good. I just made some cashew butter chocolate chip cookies. Same recipe as PB cookies but with cashew butter instead. They came out really good! I brought them to work and they were gone within 5 min!
    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cookie bake off...what a cute idea! I made cookies last weekend, they are called cake mix cookies. You only use cake mix, eggs, oil, and whatever flavor of chips you like (I prefer yellow cake mix with peanut butter chips). You cook them for about 12 minutes, and that's it! Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do the no bake cookies with my students...and it's one of my favorites to do if I have a yen for something sweet when R. isn't home....then I hide them!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete