Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Great Meal at Jen's House by Jeff

17 June 1995 West Point, Maine

Jeff cooked a great meal the other day and I thought I'd share it!

Jeff and I have been married almost 16 years.  I do the majority of the cooking, and that's OK.  I enjoy cooking for my family!  I like creating something that tastes good using a few (or a lot) of good ingredients.  I'm pretty good at cooking, too.  Or at least most of the time, I'm pretty good at it.  (There have been a few of those TLS meals!)  There are times, though, when I need a break.  Times when I'm really tired, stressed out, busy, or just don't feel like cooking!

Kansas State University
Wednesday was one of those days.  It snowed a lot on Tuesday during the day and into the night.  School was canceled for JP on Wednesday, as well as work for Jeff.  However, KState held classes, and since I teach a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday class, I found myself getting ready to drive the 20 miles to Manhattan.   I really didn't want to go...my town got a lot more snow than Manhattan, and our roads are TERRIBLE.  I really think there is one plow truck that works from 8-noon for our town.  Case in point, our street was finally plowed today, which is FRIDAY.  It snowed on TUESDAY.  Anyways, as I was getting ready to leave,  I told Jeff he was in charge of supper.

When I came home after class, I was a little curious to see what was cooking at Jen's house.  Nothing had been started when I walked in the door.  But I did see a couple of empty Walmart bags.  I was told the menu of the day would be pork chops, mashed potatoes, green beans and rolls.  And Jeff was going to cook it all!

I must admit, I had a HARD time staying out of the kitchen.  I just wanted to rush in and help Jeff.  I wanted to sprinkle the pork chops with more than salt and pepper.  I wanted to change the pan he was using to cook the chops.  I wanted to steam the green beans instead of boil them.  I wanted to make homemade mashed potatoes and whip up a little gravy.  Finally, I was told to get out of the kitchen.  And I did.

JP called me to the table when supper was ready.  Golden pork chops, creamy mashed potatoes and crisp green beans in lemon juice were served up.  The rolls were split waiting for butter.  Supper was good.  Jeff did a good job cooking, and all without my help.  Thank you for a great supper! 

No comments:

Post a Comment