Everyday recipes, life and craziness from Jen's house.

Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Fondue




http://www.sportsnewscaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Super-Bowl-2011-Official-Logo.png

Last night was the Super Bowl...I'm sure most of you readers knew that...but for those who live under a rock, yes, last night was the Super Bowl.  In the Miller household we usually watch the game and snack on...well, snackies.  (That's what we like to call hors d'oeuvres.  I know, we're just not the cultured family you thought us to be!)  So for the past week, I've been trying to come up with some yummy snackies, and not just the usual things like smokies, smokies with bacon, veggies/dip, bean dip, etc.  But something different.  And I thought... and thought... and thought...  and thought...  and thought...  You get the picture.  And then I had a great idea!  Fondue!  Something different, something yummy, something fun!  I mean, come one...fondue is FUN!  My menu consisted of cheese fondue, homemade bread and meatballs, chocolate fondue and fresh fruit and then French onion dip and chips and assorted veggies.  Yummy, right?
http://www.tonydu.com/wp-images/images/fondue.gif

http://only-cookware.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/rival-fondue-set.jpg

I don't know if I've mentioned this or not...Jeff is kind of...well...picky.  The cat's out of the bag.  Jeff is a picky eater!  I knew I needed a fondue recipe that didn't include wine or beer, which most cheese fondues include.  So I scoured allrecipes.com and found a few yummy looking cheese fondues that didn't include wine or beer as an ingredient.  I combined some ideas and created my own cheese fondue.  I thought it was good, so did JP.  However, it earned a TLS rating from Jeff.  It was thick, cheesy, but not stringy.  Great flavor, I thought.  But anywho... a TLS (Tastes Like Sh**But that's not the point of this post.  The point is, I made an awesome chocolate fondue!



Diane
A little over a year ago, a friend and I went over to a coworker's house for an evening of KState football and dinner.  My coworker, Diane, made fondue and it was fabulous!  And fun!  The chocolate fondue was to die for!  So I asked her for the recipe...which I followed, but then modified (there are very few things that I made that I follow the recipe exactly!)  The chocolate fondue was FANTASTIC and it didn't earn a TLS rating.  It was thick, creamy and chocolaty without being overly sweet.
 Chocolate Fondue
2 cups Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
2 squares (2 oz) unsweetened baking chocolate
1/4 c. sugar
1 cup half and half
1/2 t. vanilla

Place all of the ingredients in a small saucepan.  Over low heat, melt together.  Stir often to combine.  Keep warm and serve with fresh fruit, marshmallows, angel food cake, etc.  (I just used fruit...fresh pineapple, oranges, apples, grapes and bananas.  I didn't use fresh strawberries, although they would have been great had they not been half moldy and $3.99 for a small box!  The pineapples and oranges were the best!)  Enjoy~

And so it was a great evening (even if the cheese fondue flopped!)  The Packers won and the Chocolate Fondue was a hit!  :)

http://www.packers.com/media-center/photo-gallery/Super-Bowl-XLV


No comments:

Post a Comment